My Photo
Name:
Location: Buffalo, New York, United States

My wife and I share our home with 3 greyhounds, 3 cats, occasional foster dogs, and devote much of our free time to finding homes for retired racing greyhounds.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Amazing Storm Behaviour

Being that Buffalo is no stranger to winter storms, (even surprise ones) I still have to shake my head everytime we have one because you see the same ridiculous patterns of behaviour each time. Here are some gems I've managed to glean while being subjected to non-stop coverage of this disaster. In fact, that's my first one:

- Non-stop coverage of the storm. Today, Channel 2 was back to covering the aftermath of this "unprecidented storm" 24/7, - 3 DAYS AFTER IT HAPPENED, bumping all other programming. I thought the point of calling it "news" was to report when something "new" happened? Speaking of what new is going on:

- What is new in the world? Did N. Korea blow anything else up? Any other Republicans under investigation this weekend? Is Jennifer Aniston still single?

- The complaints about how long it's taking to get power restored. Granted most people the news has interviewed seem to be patient, but I love the lady who personally called the Mayor, leaving "several messages" with no answer yet. Let us know what he says when he gets back to you! 250,000 people without power but Sophie Przylezewkevitski is "getting upset".

- The lady who called Ch. 2 Friday afternoon to see if the Galleria Mall was open. As I was walking around taking pictures, she was probably one of many I saw...

- Ignoring the driving ban. Where the heck are you people trying to go? Everything is closed! You know it's bad when they simply say "The city is closed." That's right, the WHOLE city! Most I saw were driving along, chatting on their phones, rubber-necking the debris.

- Saturday's 1/2 mile lines for gas. Again, where are you going? And why sir are you telling the news that you've got less than an eighth of a tank of gas, but you've been in line for 45 MINUTES?? Tip of the day: All the gas probably won't get used up this weekend by people's generators. That brings up...

- Running generators in the house. OMG, what are you thinking? I mean, it's not funny cause some people have already died from carbon monoxide poisoning but really...think people. The damn thing is as loud as a Harley and it runs on gas! You probably don't want it next to your bed.

- Finally, what I refer to as "The Dairy Farmer Conspiracy". That's the mad dash to grab as much eggs, bread and milk as possible the next day. In case the storm returns again that night perhaps? Eat a lot of fried egg sandwiches while snowed in people?

I think the aftermath can be as trying to some of us as the storm itself.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff:

Human nature is human nature, especially in a post-modern "civilized" society. However, in the Tonawandas where I hail from, the neighborly effort was evident to the nth degree. And yes, there were people out and about doing the sight seeing thing.

The weather is the weather, complaining about it or the supposed lack of effort by the utility companies, police, fire, etc. has more to do with the nay sayers than those who have a real grasp on reality.

djb

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a news report on the earhtquake in Hawaii, a line of people outside a small store, woman in line says "I'm here for some staples: bread, milk, water" HA! I still don't get it. Did I miss this lesson in school? The stores in countries around N. Korea must be doing a brisk business...

7:02 AM  
Blogger Jeff Jankowski said...

"That's all I need is this bread and milk. That's it. Nothing else. And maybe this water. But that's it! Just the bread, milk and water."

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Jeff, you used "OMG". I'm cutting you out of the will.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jeff Jankowski said...

OMG! LOL - k-thx-bi

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home