My Photo
Name:
Location: Buffalo, New York, United States

My wife and I share our home with 3 greyhounds, 3 cats, occasional foster dogs, and devote much of our free time to finding homes for retired racing greyhounds.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Swap those old CD's

In looking to clean out the clutter of no longer listened to CD's, I had a couple options. Put them on ebay (not enough of them to make it worth my while), take them to a local music store, (not a great option cause you need to trade 10 to get 1, or you can cash them in for $1.25 each which is a joke), or give them away. But giving things away without getting something in return can be soooo ungratifying...

Okay, not really - but which of my friends is going to want my old Duran Duran anyways?! So I stumbled on this swap site LaLa.com

I set up a free account and listed the CD's that I wanted to part with. After that I made a list of the ones I wanted. Now the only catch is that they need to be in the La La database, so a local band's CD without a barcode probably can't be listed (though "Initiation" was on there!).

After you've made your lists you get an email when another member identifies a disc of yours they would like. La La sends you the postage paid mailing envelopes and CD holders, and you ship it out. Once you've shipped one, you will get an email that one of the discs on your "want" list is being sent to you, and they bill you $1.75. That's the only cost.

You can't list your CD's in order of preference because they can only send the ones that other members have, and apparently the database is simply one of many possible CD options, but not necessarily available (until someone lists it).

I traded away four of mine and received Peter Gabriel "4", Peter Gabriel "Security", Genesis "Duke" and David Sylvian (w/Fripp) "Gone to Earth. All discs I've wanted for awhile now.

This is a great way to get some new music, and for those of you with Ipods, why not trade some of your discs, get a new one for less than 2 bucks, rip it and trade it back even!

Hey - just trying to help you guys live a clutter-free lifestyle! And no, I don't work for La La either!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you forget that you have a niece who ADORES duran duran! I could have swapped you an old destiney's child or warped tour compilation

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jeff Jankowski said...

Okay, you peaked my interest with Destiny's Child. I'll throw in my Duran Duran "Notorious" poster too!

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home