My Photo
Name:
Location: Buffalo, New York, United States

My wife and I share our home with 3 greyhounds, 3 cats, occasional foster dogs, and devote much of our free time to finding homes for retired racing greyhounds.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Nostalgia Bands - Stop the Madness!!

Some music news:

I just read the announcement that Genesis is getting back together for the first time in 15 years to do a stadium tour. No Peter Gabriel, no Steve Hackett (they both declined) and no new album. They will be playing mostly hits from the 80's with some older material (likely in medley format).

Personally, I was glad to hear Gabriel said no. They talked about getting together to do "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" but for the life of me I can't seem to even get excited about the idea. I love the album, but that was 30 years ago! Why on earth, with everything Gabriel has done since would he ever want to consider revisiting that? Plus, his voice has changed considerably and fans would be paying $200 to see a 50 year old sing songs from his early 20's. Do you remember your early 20's? Are you really anything like that at all anymore? I just don't see the appeal. Thank you Peter for leaving your legacy intact.

The Who just released a new album, though it's just Roger and Pete now. Some would say that is better than no Who. I'll give them credit though because at least they have a new product to promote, one that's getting good reviews too.

This one I found really funny. Culture Club is back together and touring (if anyone cares), sans Boy George. Culture Club WAS Boy George, who are they kidding? It's kinda like....

Queen without Freddie Mercury. I saw them live on VH1 and Paul Rogers actually sounded really good, but Freddie he's not. If no Freddie, than what's the point? Join together with Paul Rogers under a different name and do something new. I know, I know - so many people say "I never got to see Queen." Well, you know what? You're still not.

My question is why? These musicians have talent, so why the need to revisit the past? Aside from The Who, none of them are on the road promoting a new album and I think that is the real kicker. Just another walk down memory lane.

Do people out there really need to revisit the music from 20 years ago at exorbitant prices that badly? Though I imagine the Culture Club tix are rather affordable. Okay, yes I'll admit I went to see the Asia reunion show, but that was only $20. It wasn't a cash cow for the band and they are discussing recording again. Plus you'd pay that much to see some of the touring tribute bands that are around anyway.

Touring used to be a way for bands to promote their latest album, playing a large portion of it along with some older hits. Rush for example plays 3 hours and includes about half their latest release, and has always done it this way. Then again they may be one of the exceptions. People accept that from Rush. When Fleetwood Mac played Buffalo a year or two ago the review said people were getting up and leaving during the new material, and actually yelling out for the hits. C'mon, hasn't FM radio killed those songs enough?

In the words of Robert Fripp, "move on" people. Help put an end to the madness.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the new Cars with Todd Rungren. What a joke. The band was borderline terrible, however the bright spots (mostly Greg Hawkes on keyboard) made it worthwhile.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course some bands never break up, just take time off from touring/new music for years at a time. I'm thinking of Yellowman and MeatLoaf,,,of course!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jeff Jankowski said...

Well Yellowman , did do that tour of Jamaican birthday parties live from people's shantys, so I guess he's been "active" :)

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home