My Photo
Name:
Location: Buffalo, New York, United States

My wife and I share our home with 3 greyhounds, 3 cats, occasional foster dogs, and devote much of our free time to finding homes for retired racing greyhounds.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Thoughts Keeping Me Awake at Night

Some questions I'm left pondering from 2006:

1. Is there really a problem with eating cloned animal meat? I'm not sure I see a problem with it for us carnivores. Chickens for example are raised strictly to feed us, so what's the difference if we clone that chicken and just make more? Especially if it is indistinguishable from the non-clone version. More food for those in need (or in want) right?

2. Will I ever see another Mel Gibson movie? Hmmm...extremely violent film making throughout his career, now mixed with an unhealthy dose of anti-Semitism. Probably not. File this one in the "Kramer File". Too bad too, because I've been waiting for Lethal Weapon 5 forever!

3. Will the Sabres finally hoist Lord Stanley's cup? In 2006, the answer was no but now it's as good a bet as any.

4. Has there ever been a year with more celebrity obsession than this past one? I hardly think I need my evening news to report that Britney isn't wearing underwear. Who didn't know that already?

5. How come no one warned us about global warming sooner? Okay, I'm kidding. But it takes until now for our leaders to finally publically admit that humans contribute to a condition called global warming, and that it actually exists as a real problem? "You think??" Great time to be in Buffalo though! One winter blast in the Fall, and Springtime in December. Can't wait to see what Summer is like. Better get out the 125 sunblock. (Personal thanks from me to Al Gore though for doing something productive on the lecture circuit).

6. Does anyone really care who is running for President in 2008 at this point? I'm still getting over the pain of the last election. Besides, didn't Howard Dean already prove something to everyone about early favorites?

7. Is the city of Buffalo rebounding? Apartments are booming downtown and a dozen or so major developments are slated to begin/finish in 2007. (Personal thanks from me to Brian Higgins for showing up to work and fighting the good fight.)

8. What's the next big reading craze for kids going to be? Now that Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket are wrapping up, what's next? Hopefully something equally imaginative.

9. Can FM radio get creative again? With so many internet and satellite options, as well as music downloads, is there any reason FM can't dig deep to find bands and music no one has heard? What do they have to lose? They can't lose any more listeners than they have already. Time to end the days of riding the trends and force feeding us the next pop sensation. Get creative and play whatever you want! People might even tune in again. The Lake is doing a pretty good job to start, but this could be taken much further. Let's rock, (and swing and mosh and meditate and...)!!

10. Is 2007 the year we "win the war on terror"? Can we define "winning the war on terror"? Can we do away with phrases like that and "stay the course"? Will somebody please stand up with an idea?

Here's to 2007!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff-

My responses are as follows:

Comment 1:
At the very least the cloned meat should be labeled as such to give the consumer the choice of eating the meat or not. Additionally, cloning will have profound unforseen effects on the genetic structure of all life on this planet. In case you disagree, then you will need to retract your comments and beliefs about global warming.

Comment 2:
I do not know Mel personally so I am loathe to judge him as an anti-Semite because of his behavior in a drunken tirade. The interview and is actions subsequent to that incident indicate he is repentant and is taking steps to work on his alcholism. His movie The Passion of the Christ is not anti-Semetic and the use of violent scenes are not gratuitous and don't come anywhere close to the type of suffering that Christ experienced.

Apocolypco and its violence (while I have not seen it yet) know doubt illustrates the Mayan culture in a very factual manner. They regularly killed thousands in their blood sacfices to appease their deities. Again accurate portrayals of violence that serve to educate are far different then the gratuitous violence used in the run of the mill action movie.

Comment 3:
Those who live by sports teams in Buffalo die by their sports teams in Buffalo.

Comment 4:
This is America the land of the obscene. I of course only feel that way in my more cynical moments. I am too much of a patriot otherwise to dis our country with something as trivial as the cult of celebrity ... oops I slipped into my cynicism before I even finished this comment.

Comment 5:
Global warming ... For your informaion I have been reading about it for the past 25 years. I wonder what my friends were reading about back in those days ... ? Gore jumped on the band wagon to make some money and to recover some sort of creditbilty with his extreme left leaning Liberals. Too bad they don't offer solutions ... alas they are too busy driving around in their SUV's like the rest of America.

Comment 6:
It looks like the Democrats are the only ones that are jumping the gun, they better be careful ...

Comment 7:
The "recovery" is long overdue and is the result of a lot of players both seen and unseen ... let us hope it is for real.

Comment 8:
No comment.

Comment 9:
I know better than to dual about music with someone who does know his stuff about music. I will decline to follow up with a salient comment on this topic. :) Subtle dig if you missed it.

Comment 10:
Spare me the criticism of the "War on Terror" phrase. How soon we forget Lyndon Johnson's "War on Poverty" where he nearly bankrupted America with his social spending policies. See the link:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Poverty#Criticisms)

... Look around lately ... poverty is still with us and always will be.

Then of course their was the Jimmy Carter's malaise speech ... UGH!

And the Carter Doctrine (do a little research on that and his involvement in the Persian Gulf, etc.)

Sorry my friend. Very few of our President's are very eloquent in their speechs except Reagan of course ...

Thanks for worth while end of year post.

See ya.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jeff Jankowski said...

A few responses to the responses:

2. I don't care for the "I was drunk" excuse. I've used it myself and it's lame. Drinking brings out your true feelings more often than not, and sadly this is not the first time he's been charged as such. He owes a bigger explanation and a truthful one as far as I'm concerned.

5. Gore is a life-long environmentalist. That's all that really needs to be said. As far as the money-grubbing claim, take a look at all the others (military, politics etc.) who jump on that wagon as soon as their star begins to fade (or tarnish as it may be). In my humble opinion he hardly falls into that camp.

10. Actually, this had less to do with the actual phrases and more with the situation. A cry for action and not words.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Jeff-

I will now respond to your post as though it was written solely to spark debate with yours truly:

1: Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty, murder. Why not have more of it? Why have scientists working to make our lives better if people are becoming 'ethically' opposed to what they discover? I'd hope that what they're working for will have profound unforeseen effects on life, otherwise what the hell are they working on down there? Apparently not making me a flying car, that's for sure.

2: I'm sure Stallone can pick up Lethal Weapon where it left off- the guy is truly a chameleon.

3: Not that I care at all about professional sports, but I hope they do win the cup- it's not so bad to see your hometown so excited and united. 'They scored another goal?! Hoorah! We cheer together now let's go VOTE together! Are ya with me? Uh... guys? Vote.... woo.'

Oh I'm sorry... I mean 'enter ridiculous hyperbole here that has nothing to do with the sabres whatsoever' (yet another 'subtle dig'! Aren't you glad I pointed it out? omigosh they've run amok!)

4: They're going to keep churning out what we are biting into. And I love it. I repeat: Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder. (P.S. Fametracker.com is perhaps the best celebrity blog- they do 'career audits' and all sorts of silly funny things. I've been reading it for years instead of global warming documents.)

5: Talking about it is productive, how can we have solutions yet if no one can agree on the actual problem? I agree with you on the great weather we've been having, it's glorious and incredibly depressing all at once!

6: VILSAK! (I hope you've seen the Daily Show lately or I'm going to feel silly for that one)

7: Maybe 'Jack Davis' Drug Free Society' should be broadcasted through large speakers all over the city....

8: How dare you bring up the subject of children's literature! I am insulted! I shan't comment for it would be a waste of breath (or typing actions) to even pretend that those things matter. They should go listen to some of my old Reagan tapes if they want inspiration.

ps. hp and the deathly hollows comes out this summer! FINALLY! I'm tres excited!

9: While I find reading your analyses a jolly good time, I fail to see the point of blogs and I will now respond with an unecessary insult. Just Kidding! Quick plug: Betty Machete (thats me) and Sally Tempo (Comrade Clementine) are taking over your internet radio waves in the new year! Emails with reminders of the start date and time will be dispersed accordingly.

10: Do away with the 'president' and cross your fingers that the phrase disappears as well. Hopefully the next refers to it as 'trying our best to not wreck this country any worse than we already have'

11:14 PM  
Blogger Jeff Jankowski said...

Hey Kay,

I won't go through all your points (most insightful though I must say). However, I will comment on a few if I may:

1. Yeah, ethically cloning gives me the willies. As a meat eater though, and looking at it from that perspective, it's simply growing more food. Chickens are raised as food from birth so why not grow more right? Solve hunger problems maybe? I wish they could figure a way to simply clone the meat and not have to make it alive, but alas meat eater =
live supply.

6. Vilsak?? Didn't see it so feel silly. :)

8. I hope i didn't imply that reading Potter is a "childrens" thing. I've read all but the last one too. I just mean that in my lifetime there has been no other book I can think of that has peeked the reading interest of kids as much as these have. I hope someone continues the trend. Maybe I should write a childrens book....about a little drummer....a little drummer boy....hmmm..............

9. Looking forward to the radio show again. Independent radio may
be the saviour of the airwaves.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home